If you own a Mac, you might think that you don’t need any antivirus software, because Macs are supposed to be more secure than Windows PCs. You might also think that the built-in malware scanner in macOS, called XProtect, is enough to protect you from any threats. However, both of these assumptions are wrong, and could put your Mac and your data at risk.
In this blog post, we will explain why XProtect is not sufficient for Mac security, and why you should consider using Bitdefender, one of the best antivirus software for Macs, instead.
What is XProtect and what does it do?
XProtect is a feature of macOS that scans files and apps for known malware signatures. It runs in the background and checks for malicious content whenever you download a file or app from the internet, open a file or app from an external source, or launch an app for the first time. If it finds any malware, it will alert you and prevent you from opening or running the file or app.
XProtect sounds like a useful feature, but it has several limitations that make it inadequate for Mac security. Here are some of them:
- XProtect only detects known malware. It does not have any behavioral analysis or heuristic detection capabilities, which means it cannot identify new or unknown malware variants that have not been added to its signature database.
- XProtect updates its signature database infrequently and inconsistently. According to some reports1, XProtect only updates its signatures once every few months, and sometimes even less often. This means that it can miss many new malware threats that emerge in between updates.
- XProtect does not scan your entire system. It only scans files and apps that you download or open. It does not scan your existing files or apps, or your system settings or processes. This means that it can miss malware that has already infected your Mac, or malware that uses other methods to infiltrate your system.
- XProtect does not have any additional features or tools. It only provides basic malware scanning and blocking. It does not offer any other protection or optimization features, such as firewall, web protection, ransomware protection, system cleaner, password manager, VPN, etc.
What is Bitdefender and what does it do?
Bitdefender is one of the best antivirus software for Macs. It provides comprehensive protection for your Mac with advanced features and tools. Here are some of them:
- Bitdefender has excellent malware detection and removal capabilities. It uses multiple layers of protection, including signature-based detection, behavioral analysis, heuristic detection, cloud-based scanning, and artificial intelligence. It can identify and eliminate both known and unknown malware threats with high accuracy and speed.
- Bitdefender updates its malware database frequently and automatically. It receives updates every hour from its global network of servers, which collect and analyze millions of malware samples every day. This means that it can protect you from the latest malware threats as soon as they appear.
- Bitdefender scans your entire system regularly and thoroughly. It performs full system scans on demand or on schedule, as well as quick scans of critical areas or specific files or folders. It also scans your system in real time whenever you access a file or app, or connect to a network or device.
Why should you use Bitdefender instead of XProtect?
As you can see from the comparison above, Bitdefender is far superior to XProtect in terms of Mac security. While XProtect only provides basic and limited malware scanning and blocking, Bitdefender provides comprehensive and advanced malware detection and removal, as well as many other features and tools to protect your Mac from various cyberthreats.
By using Bitdefender instead of relying on XProtect, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- You can prevent malware infections before they happen, rather than dealing with them after they occur.
- You can protect your Mac from new and emerging malware threats that XProtect might miss.
- You can scan your entire system for any existing malware infections that XProtect might overlook.
- You can improve your Mac performance by removing junk files and optimizing system settings.
- You can secure your online activities by encrypting your internet traffic and blocking malicious websites and ads.
- You can safeguard your personal data by storing your passwords securely and monitoring your identity online.